Wednesday, September 21, 2011

my new favorite sweet treat

I'm not really a dessert eater. I'd much rather have potato chips than a cookie. I prefer the taste of salty to sweet, but I really love to bake. I always have. For my 14th birthday I got a KitchenAid standing mixer from my parents, and the following Christmas I asked for a blow torch for making creme brulee. Baking was kind of my introduction to the kitchen, and my love for cooking has grown from there.

I browse TasteSpotting everyday for new ideas and inspiration, and to see what the rest of the foodie blogosphere is up to. One day I came across a recipe for doughnut muffins from the blog Making Life Delicious. How ingenious?? The dense, sugary awesomeness that we love about cake doughnuts without having to cut dough and deal with the mess of deep frying.. amazing.  These are so simple, you could make these with your eyes closed. And their even easier to eat!

Buttermilk Doughnut Muffins
Makes a dozen

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and divided
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 cup buttermilk, 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, 2 eggs, ¼ cup melted butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until smooth.
Spoon ¼ cup batter into each of the 12 muffin cups. I used an ice cream scoop for this. Bake at 325 degrees F for about 13 minutes. The finished muffins will spring back lightly when pressed. Cool in the pan for three minutes.
Place 1 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl. Put the remaining ¼ cup melted butter in a separate bowl. Gently remove the donut muffins. Then roll them in the remaining ¼ cup of melted butter. Then toss them in the bowl of cinnamon sugar to coat.
These little cuties are so dern good. And addicting. I ate 3 within minutes of them coming out of the oven.
Pin It
They are definitely meant to be eaten hot from the oven, but I had no problem putting back 3 of them cold. These would be great on a brunch spread or for a special breakfast. You have got to try these!

No comments:

Post a Comment